Monday, March 11, 2013

And a garden too?

So I think I want to start a garden. That's crazy, right? I don't have a green thumb...and I'm in a rent house. What's wrong with me?

But I need something to do that's my own hobby. I'm thinking about growing yellow squash, and zucchini, jalapenos, garlic, and green onions. I've heard they are pretty hard to kill once you get them going.

I have no idea what I'm doing. But it might be fun. And yes, I'm saying this before the southern Texas summer sets in and it's 100+ degrees outside and 90% humidity. Then it might suck balls to have to go outside and water them each day. K is hesitant for me to do this, maybe he has a right to be.

Other than a vegetable garden, I really, really want to plant some flowers! Our house is just so...blah.

My favorite flower is the peony, and those can do relatively OK in Zone 9, which is where I'm at. I think I'll pick a spot by a window in the backyard to plant those. Then I can always have beautiful fresh flower arrangements in the house! (But then this may also deter K from buying me flowers..I'll have to work around this.)

Next, for the front flower beds, I want to plant bougainvilleas. Those do awesome down here, and almost all of my neighbors have them. Plus, they don't attract bees! (Not like knockout rose bushes, which I LOVE, but I don't feel like messing with those pesky assholes...especially by the front door!).

So we'll see how this goes. This might be a crazy pipe dream and I may never get it going. The flowers probably will happen... but possibly not the garden. I think I need to work on those fire ant beds in the yard first anyway.

Well I'm off to go take E on a walk around the neighborhood. I hate it because we don't have sidewalks, but if I go before people start getting off of work, the traffic isn't so bad.

Ciao peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment