Thursday, January 17, 2013

Your kids make me hate you.

My last post I mentioned my experience with some kids at a restaurant.

Let me say that I don't understand why I get annoyed with other kids, especially now that I have my own. And I've never been one of those people who doesn't like kids. I used to babysit, be a nanny... my little sister's friends would come over and ask to play with me when I was in high school. So you see? Not liking kids is not the case here. But when I'm out in public, kids that aren't perfectly well-behaved drive me CRAZY. And yes, I do realize that I have a boy, who will probably want to run and scream and punch, and more than likely drive another mom or bystander up the wall. But it will not go unnoticed by me! That's my point.

A few days ago, K and I took E and two out-of-town guests to a nicer seafood restaurant for lunch. The restaurant wasn't packed and I'm pretty sure they only had two waiters working two sections in the entire place. We were sat in the corner next to three other tables that had customers eating. Our table was like a table for six and there were only four of us and a baby carrier with E in his car seat. There was a table next to us celebrating an adult's birthday with a two children at the table (possibly a total of eight or ten). Because we had more seats than people at our table, there were a couple of seats left empty; one empty seat happened to be next to the baby carrier with E in it and this table celebrating a birthday.

As we were sitting there enjoying our lunch and conversation, this one child, probably around the age of four, decided he was tired of sitting at the table with adults. So he starts running circles around their table. This already started annoying me because he was whizzing by our table every few seconds. But I was trying to ignore it since I already let things bother me a little too easily. Well the running turned in to running and screaming, and the running and screaming turned in to running, screaming and jumping in and out of his chair at his table. Once again, this was just a slight annoyance on my part. But then the little hellion decided that THAT wasn't enough... and he began running, screaming, and climbing over the empty chair at OUR table! The same chair that is next to E in his car seat balancing in this baby carrier. Well K reaches out to grab the seat just in case the kid bumps into it and I shoot a look at the parents. But the kid didn't do it just once, he did it three times! And the kid was only speaking a different language, so I don't know if he would understand me if I even said anything to him! But looking at the parents, they didn't even raise an eyebrow! They just sat there and let this God-awful child not only run around the restaurant, but climb over seats at another table, next to a baby, where people are trying to eat lunch. I mean COME ON!!!! And at first I wanted to get upset with the kid, but then my friend pointed out that it was more of the parents' fault. And she's totally right. Who the F lets their kid do this without even saying anything?? 

I know boys are hyper and act a little ADHD when they're young. But at what point are you supposed to take your kid aside and scare the hell out of them if they act up again? Because I'm thinking E is only going to have one chance before he gets pulled aside. And if he ignores me, then it's "I'm sorry guys. Thanks for the invite and I hope you have a great birthday, but I need to take E home." I promise you everyone in the restaurant AND at your table are going to appreciate it. And next time, get a babysitter for an adult function.

Other than that, K and I took E to the beach for the first time! And the best part? It was the very first beach I went to as a baby, too! I love that I can share that with him. It was a little chilly, around 55. So we ran him out to the sand, put his toes in it, took a picture, and ran back to the car. But it was my favorite thing we've done with E so far. 

Here's the little cutie



Have a great Thursday, y'all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment